Qualifications to Register to Vote
- be a United States citizen;
- be 18 years old (you may pre-register at 16 or 17 but cannot vote until you are 18);
- resident of this state and the county, city or village for at least 30 days before the election;
- not be in prison for a felony conviction;
- not be adjudged mentally incompetent by a court;
- not claim the right to vote elsewhere.
How and Where to Register to Vote
- You can register in person at your county board of elections or at any New York State Agency-Based voter registration center.
- You may also submit your voter application form at the Department of Motor Vehicles, either in person or on their web site if you already have DMV-issued identification.
- You can request a New York State Voter Registration form by mail by entering your name directly into our mailing list database.
- You can call our 1-800-FOR-VOTE (1-800-367-8683) hotline to request a voter application.